Sunday, January 13, 2013

 

Riding bikes has always been a part of my like in one way or another.  A couple of years ago I quit my job in the coffee industry and went to work at Flat Tire Bike Shop in my home town of Cave Creek, AZ.  Knowing full well that my life long friend, Kaolin Cummens, would soon take it over.  Since I made the switch, I've been like a sponge soaking up all things new and old in the bike industry.  The last time I worked in a bike shop nine speed just came out and downhill bikes had four inches of travel.

Although I do race now and then, I'm not what you would call an elite racer.  Turning wrenches for the pros gives me the same feeling I had when I was a kid hanging out in the pits.  I get that same adrenalin pumping feeling when my guys are at the starting line or when they come running in with a broken chain and their opponent just minutes behind them.  I love being a part of the high energy environment.  It's that love for the sport that keeps me up for an entire 24 hour race knowing that if I don't do my job, all of the hard work that my team has put in will amount to nothing.  

2 comments: